Sunday, May 22, 2011

Storytelling Guild Vic welcomes Beth Cregan

I love this crinkled photo of my family. It immediately takes me back to my childhood. I am the second youngest of six children. My dad (85 years old) is still a great storyteller. When I was a child, he had a whole repertoire of original stories which he told to us and we hung on every word. Willy the Whale, Sammy the Seahorse, Hungry Harry… I knew all these stories by heart, line for line. This was the beginning of my love of words, books, stories and writing. I learnt some of my most valuable childhood lessons from the characters in these stories. When I started my own family, I finally had the opportunity to indulge my passion for words and study professional writing. I think storytelling is one of the greatest ways to connect with people – children and adults alike.

My mum was a passionate teacher so I grew up immersed in the stories of her day, the lives of her students and the teaching books that covered the kitchen table after dinner. I remember wanting to be many things when I grew up – a chef, an architect and a writer. But as soon I was given the chance, I did work experience with my kindergarden teacher, Mrs Laverey, and just like that- I was hooked on children and teaching. Children are full of energy, enthusiasm, imagination and... surprises. And teaching, if you surrender to it, is such a creative and unpredictable journey.

I now have 25 years experience in education from Early Childhood to V.C.E English Language in both the public and private sector. And storytelling has always been part of my repertoire.

In 2010, I combined my passion for writing, storytelling and creative thinking to launch my own business - Write Away With Me. I now develop and present creative writing and philosophy programs for students in Prep to Year 7 and offer storytelling and literacy incursions for both Early Childhood and Primary Schools.

I recently presented a Leadership Seminar for Year 6 children, with a powerful storytelling focus.

In 2011 I launched ‘The Writer’s Club’, based at Oakleigh Primary School. TWC is an after school writing club for children.

I’m also writing a book for children. It’s based on an original story I have told for close to twenty years so the characters are good friends of mine by now.

Although I have been a member of ‘The Storytelling Guild’ for over a year, it’s only recently that I have taken on a designated role and started to forge new friendships. I am excited about the wealth of knowledge and support that is available within the storytelling community.

On my Mother’s Day card this year, my daughters wrote that most of all, I had inspired them to follow their dreams, no matter what. I smiled inside when I read that! Like Helen Keller, I believe “Life is either a daring adventure, or it is nothing.” I really am the best part of me when I am surrounded by kids and lost in a story.

Beth Cregan has recently stepped into Cindy-Lee Harper’s shoes and taken over the management the Vic Guild Facebook

Beth's current activities include ...

Write Away With Me. Creative writing and philosophy programs for students in Prep to Year 7

storytelling and literacy incursions for both Early Childhood and Primary Schools.

‘The Writer’s Club’: Oakleigh Primary School. TWC is an after school writing club for children

Learn more about Beth Cregan

Contact Beth : 0407 770 154

Email: beth@writeawaywithme.com

Beth is located in the southern Bayside area.